Don’t hurt yourself or others with fireworks on July 4
Independence Day is here and, full of national pride, you want to blow stuff up. Remember, fireworks are illegal everywhere in Butte County outside the city limits of Oroville and Gridley. (District Attorney Mike Ramsey recently warned that fires started by fireworks can be prosecuted as felonies.) Those of you who do choose to set off some sparklies, be safe. Here are some tips from the National Council on Fireworks Safety:
• Read the label. Before lighting anything on fire.
• Supervise children. Yeah, adults make bad decisions, too, but a responsible adult should be on-hand at all times.
• Don’t drink. Speaking of bad decisions, alcohol doesn’t make them any better.
• Pace yourself. Light one firework at a time and quickly move away.
• Toss the duds. If you light a firework and it doesn’t go off, don’t light it again. Wait 20 minutes and douse it in water.
• Mind the location. Use fireworks outside, away from buildings, and never shoot them into metal or glass containers.