Just say no to butt-chugging
Latest drinking craze is very potent—and dangerous
When you think things can’t get any crazier, along comes “butt-chugging,” the practice of “drinking” alcoholic beverages via one’s rectum with a hose or tube. Recently, a University of Tennessee student was sent to a hospital emergency room with severe alcohol poisoning—he had a blood-alcohol level significantly higher than 0.4—after engaging in the dangerous practice, reported the Huffington Post.
Alcohol put directly into the colon—an alcohol enema, if you will—is absorbed more quickly into the bloodstream than when it is taken in orally. Thus, butt-chugging alcohol (boxed wine seems to be a favorite) can actually be fatal—as it was in the case of a Texas man who died in 2004 from a sherry enema administered by his wife—as a person can easily take in too much alcohol or hold it inside the body for too long.