Listen to your nails
Discolored, cracking or shaded fingernails can indicate serious health issues
Your fingernails can be a revealing indicator of overall health. For instance:
• Pale nails can be a sign of anemia, congestive heart failure, liver disease or malnutrition.
• Mostly white nails with dark rims can be a sign of liver problems, like hepatitis.
• Yellow nails are most likely a sign of fungal infection, but in rare cases, yellow nails can indicate thyroid or lung disease, diabetes or psoriasis.
• Dark lines beneath nails should be checked by a physician immediately, as they can be a sign of melanoma.
• Cracked or split nails have been associated with thyroid disease and fungal infection.