Five reasons to ‘shop local’
Don’t fall into the big-box trap this holiday season
Don’t fall into the big-box trap this holiday season. Commit to spending at least half your gift and celebration money right here in Chico. Here are some motivating reasons:
1. Dollars spent with Chico-area businesses stay in our community at a much higher percentage than if you spend them at a big-box chain store. Local businesses produce more income, jobs and tax revenues for our community.
2. Shopping locally sourced gifts is good for the environment, since it reduces the need to ship products from thousands of miles away, which translates into less greenhouse-gas pollution emitted into the atmosphere.
3. According to the Institute for Local Self-Reliance, local businesses ensure innovation, and that’s the best way to ensure low prices over the long term.
4. Compared to chain stores, regional businesses will recycle a much larger portion of their revenue back into the local economy. As a bonus, they link neighbors in a vibrant web of economic and social relationships.
5. Local businesses support other local businesses. This newspaper, for example, is offered free to readers because our advertisers, almost all of them local businesses, support it as a publication and trust it to reach their customers. If you appreciate what we do each week and think the price is right, you can return the favor by patronizing our advertisers and telling them you saw their ad in the CN&R.