Holiday theater picks
We at the SN&R know you’re anxious to plan out your activities for the upcoming holiday weekend. And we’re equally sure that those of you who regularly thumb to the theater section will be more interested in setting up camp in a darkened theater than in your own darkened living room—surrounded by shreds of leftover turkey and Doritos crumbs—so we have rounded up some of the Sacramento area’s most interesting theatrical fare that will play over the Turkey Day holiday. Make your reservations now; they go fast!
· The T Street Players present a traditional version of Charles Dickens’ beloved A Christmas Carol, 7:30pm F; 7pm Sa; 2pm Su. $5-$10. 4623 T St. 264-8890. Through Dec. 17.
· The Davis Musical Theatre Company has two goodies up for grabs, the magical tale of Aladdin (2:15pm Sa; 7pm Su. $4-$5) and another Dickens favorite, Oliver (8:15pm F, Sa; 2:15pm Su. $8-$10), both of which play at the lovely and historic Varsity Theatre, 616 Second St., Davis. (530) 756-3682. Through Nov. 25 and Nov. 26.
· No Dickens stories for the Sacramento Theatre Company, though. Instead, the venerable company has opted for the dreamy splendor of the French classic, Cinderella. Various days, times and ticket prices. 1419 H St. 443-6722. Through Dec. 24.
· Stagewright Presentations will offer yet another holiday mainstay, the poignant O. Henry story, The Gift of the Magi, 8pm F, Sa; 2pm Su. $14. 22nd and L streets. 553-6838.
· River Stage will both shake things up and go straight classic with its jazzed-up production of A Christmas Carol, which boasts a Comedia del Arte theme, 8pm F, Sa; 2pm Su. $12-$14. Cosumnes River College, 8401 Center Parkway. 691-7364. Through Dec. 17.
· For those of you who want a taste of nostalgia, a short trip to Nevada City to catch the Foothill Theatre Company’s rendition of Dylan Thomas’ memoir A Child’s Christmas in Wales might be just what you’re looking for, 8:15pm F; 2 and 8:15pm Sa; 2pm Su; 7pm Th (the week following Thanksgiving). $5-$18. 401 Broad St., Nevada City. (530) 265-8587. Through Dec. 31.
· For those of you who want something completely different, American River College will satisfy you with To Be Young, Gifted and Black, Lorraine Hansberry’s uplifting autobiographical exploration of the human spirit—just what you need to set that holiday mood, 8pm F, Sa; 2pm Su. $6-$8. 4700 College Oak Drive. 484-8234. Through Nov. 26.