Yes, it’s year-in-review time again. In no particular order, here are five things I’ll remember eating in 2005:
• Lush, silken-fleshed, grilled black cod from the innovative robata menu at ultra-cool Kozen. 2310 Fair Oaks Boulevard, (916) 641-8880.
• Caramelly, buttery, toasty pecan pie from Ettore’s Restaurant and European Bakery, which sold pies throughout September to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. 2376 Fair Oaks Boulevard, (916) 482-0708; or 510 Natoma Station Drive in Folsom, (916) 985-3920; www.ettores.com.
• Samosa chaat and bright-flavored, hot aalu ghobi at Chaat Corner, a true hole-in-the-wall in North Sacramento. 2700 Northgate Boulevard, (916) 641-6199.
• Whole deep-fried crab (including, very possibly, its brains; I wasn’t sure) with spicy salt at HoiCin Fine Modern Asian Cuisine. 9555 Folsom Boulevard, Unit D; (916) 369-8915.
• Making a great picnic sandwich of prosciutto, goat cheese and marinated artichokes piled on yeasty, blistered Armenian flatbread from Naroe’s Bakery. 6020 Fair Oaks Boulevard in Carmichael, (916) 485-1886.