Un-super foods for the ages
These five food types will make you look and feel older
You’ve likely heard a lot about a host of purported “superfoods” like berries, salmon and spinach that can slow the aging process, but there are also plenty of diet disasters that can have the opposite effect. Here are five foods that will make you look and feel old:
• Anything fried: The American Heart Association recommends fried foods make up less that 1 percent of your diet. Anything fried in oil contributes to inflammation, which dam- ages collagen and fiber in your skin.
• Doughnuts and sugary pastries: These little delights are packed with trans fats and sugar, both of which are linked to inflam- mation and wrinkles.
• Processed meats: For some people, pepperoni, hot dogs and bacon are undeniably awesome tasting, but unfortunately they also contain oodles of trans fat and nitrates.
• Less-than-lean meats: The American Heart Association suggests you keep saturated fats from all sources—not just red meat— to less than 7 percent of your daily calorie intake and consume a variety of protein foods.
• Alcohol: There is a “sweet spot” for alcohol—anything more than one 5-ounce glass of wine or a 12-ounce beer for women and two drinks for men each day will contribute to the aging process significantly.