Top 10 green films
Hollywood has released some films with substance
Just because it’s from Hollywood doesn’t mean it’s all glitz and mindlessness. In fact, some Hollywood stars—such as Daryl Hannah, who is involved with anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd, and Angelina Jolie, who is an outspoken panda advocate—are also thoughtful green activists. Tinsletown has produced some worthy green films, too. Here are the top 10 listed by Access Hollywood:
10. The Day After Tomorrow—2004 movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal about the disastrous effects of climate change and global warming.
9. The American President—Michael Douglas as the president of the United States falls in love with Annette Bening, who plays an environmental lobbyist working to reduce carbon dioxide emissions in this 1995 film.
8. Soylent Green—Classic 1973 sci-fi movie-with-a-twist starring Charlton Heston about finding alternate food sources in a resource-depleted world.
7. March of the Penguins—Poignant 2005 Academy Award-winning documentary chronicling the life and hard times of the Antarctic emperor penguin.
6. Who Killed the Electric Car?—2006 documentary exploring who’s to blame for the decline of the electric car.
5. Erin Brockovich—Julia Roberts won an Oscar in 2000 for her role as Erin Brockovich, a real-life heroine who blew the whistle on a California power company responsible for polluting a city’s water supply.
4. Gorillas in the Mist—Sigourney Weaver stars in this 1988 biopic based on the work of famous anthropologist Dian Fossey, who studied mountain gorillas in Rwanda.
3. Silent Running—Bruce Dern stars in this 1971 film looking at Earth after a nuclear war. Dern, as a botanist, preserves the planet’s last remaining plants by sending them into space.
2. WALL-E—2008 Pixar animated movie starring a terribly cute little robot named WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class) that is programmed to clean up an utterly trashed, uninhabitable Earth.
1. An Inconvenient Truth—Former Vice-President Al Gore’s 2006 Oscar-winning documentary exploring the effects of global warming.