Little-known bicycling trivia
Facts and figures for the two-wheeled set
Some things about bicycles are common knowledge—that most of them are made in China (72 percent), that more people are bicycling than ever before, and that more than 60 percent of all bike trips are one mile or less. But did you know that:
• before they built their famous airplane, Orville and Wilbur Wright owned a bicycle sales and repair shop?
• the number of people who ride bicycles is greater than all those who ski, golf and play tennis combined?
• the number of Americans who commuted to work primarily by bike in 2008 increased 14 percent from 2007, 36 percent since 2005, and 43 percent since 2000?
• new immigrants to the United States are more likely to travel by bike than native- born Americans?
• U.S. cyclists who bike frequently have a median income of almost $60,000?
• in 1896 Susan B. Anthony said that bicycling “has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world”?
• in Redding bicycle traffic increased 80 percent from 2009 to 2010?
Sources: bikesbelong.org, The Rotarian (May 2012)