How much do you know?
It’s Hanukkah time, folks. The Jewish holiday starts Friday night (Dec. 15). Test your knowledge of the Festival of Lights.
1. How many crazy nights does Hanukkah last?
2. What is the candleabra called?
3. How many candles are there and what’s the name for the one in the middle?
4. In which direction do you light the candles?
5. What’s the little spinning top called?
6. What is gelt?
7. What does Hanukkah celebrate?
8. Why so many candles?
2. The menorah.
3. Nine. The shamas—it’s Hebrew for “servant” and is used to light the other candles.
4. Left to right—the same direction you read the Torah (and Hebrew).
5. A dreidel. 6
. Chocolate coins.
7. The reclamation of the Temple of Jerusalem by Judah Maccabee.
8. In remembrance of the oil the Maccabees had that lasted eight nights.