Bike Issue: Tips to coexist
Navigate streets more safely—on two wheels and four
Riding a bike:
• The right side of the road is the right side of the road. Ride right.
• Communicate with your eyes and your hands—not your finger.
• Stop signs are enforced by police with ticket books.
• Being hit by 4,000 pounds at 35 mph kills, so rolling into an intersection is a risk/reward scenario that if you lose, you’ve lost for good.Driving a car:
• Let go of your gas pedal when approaching cyclists; allow your car to slow down.
• Watch for cyclists when opening your door, turning right, or pulling into traffic.
• Don’t drive angry at “cyclists.” Every one is different.
• If you haven’t done so, try riding a bicycle. You’ll see things from another vantage.