Bike Issue: Risky junctures
Dangerous places to ride in Chico
Jim Walker, Chico City Councilman and avid cyclist, gives some sound advice when probed for the least-desirable areas to ride in the city: Stay away from the areas you find difficult to navigate when you’re behind the wheel of a vehicle.
Makes sense—the more traffic, the more dangerous.
The CN&R took note when local cyclists gave their opinions (many of them overlapping) on the most dangerous roadways or intersections. Here is a sampling:
• Second Street
• Mangrove Avenue
• Nord Avenue (east of Stewart Avenue)
• The Esplanade
• East Avenue (west of Mariposa Avenue)
• E. First Avenue
• Manzanita Avenue (west of Moreland Drive)
• Intersection at E. 20th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway
• Intersection at Cohasset Road and Manzanita Court (near Holiday Inn)
• Eighth and Ninth streets