Thou shalt obey
Five new laws that took effect Jan. 1
As with every new year, 2012 brings with it a slurry of new laws for Californians to adjust to. Here are just a handful that took effect Jan. 1:
• The Brewery Tasting Room Law allows craft-beer makers to open tasting rooms if food is not served and exempts brewers from the California Retail Food Code.
• The Transgender Vital Statistics Law allows transgender individuals to obtain a court-ordered gender change without undergoing surgery.
• The Shark Fin Ban bans the possession, sale and distribution of shark fins.
• The California Renters Right to Recycling Law requires landlords overseeing more than five rentals to provide recycling services.
• The California Gay History Law mandates that school history books include GLBT accomplishments.