Soda tax could be sweet deal

Funding anti-obesity efforts

A soda-pop tax proposed in a California bill has the potential to generate $1.7 billion in revenue each year, with 85 percent of that going toward funding obesity-prevention programs in California classrooms, according to media reports. The remaining 15 percent would be allotted to state-funded anti-obesity programs.

Assembly Bill 669 would impose a 1-cent-per-ounce tax on soda and other bottled beverages containing added sweetener. California Assemblyman Bill Monning (D-Carmel) introduced the bill in February with the support of the California Center for Public Health Advocacy. Since then, the CCPHA has released a report estimating the tax could generate $233 per student annually, according to estimates from the California State Board of Equalization.

A similar bill (SB 1210) was rejected by the Legislature last year.