Salmonella safety for pets
CDC offers advice on keeping pets and their people safe
Food, treats and supplements for your dog or cat can become contaminated with salmonella. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides tips for keeping your family and your pets from getting sick:
• Inspect packaging: Avoid dented cans and torn bags.
• Don’t feed raw food to pets.
• Wash hands thoroughly after serving pets.
• Disinfect sink after washing pet dishes.
• Use a dedicated scoop (not the bowl) when serving pets.
• Store pet food in a sealed plastic container away from human food in a cool, dry area.
• Seal and promptly refrigerate unused wet food.