Possible overdose deaths

Two young Chicoans die in the same week; both found by city personnel, both with drug paraphernalia

In the span of one week, two Chicoans died from possible drug overdoses, according to the Chico Police Department.

On. Jan. 17, a worker found Joseph Maybrun, 29, unresponsive in the public restroom at Ringel Park on West First Street. Medical personnel, who found drug paraphernalia in the restroom, attempted CPR and transported Maybrun to Enloe Medical Center, where he died. Facebook posts describe Maybrun as a struggling addict with a love for music and dedication to his church and volunteering.

A few days later, on Sunday (Jan. 22), 20-year-old Harley Young was found dead from a possible drug overdose in the alcove of the front doorway of the Chico Area Recreation District’s office on Vallombrosa Avenue. Again, heroin paraphernalia was found nearby.

Homeless advocate Bill Mash wrote a Facebook post about Young’s passing. He’d met her as a 17-year-old runaway who sought refuge at the Safe Space Winter Shelter. “Bless everyone that loved and cared for her, the best way they knew, and the best way they could,” he writes.

In both cases, the cause of death will be determined by autopsies performed by the Butte County Coroner.