Dismiss brutality suit, says sheriff
Attorneys for Butte County filed a motion July 20 to dismiss a lawsuit filed last month alleging police brutality in an arrest last summer.

Paradise resident A. J. Fulton charges that a security videotape filmed at Gold Country Casino proves that sheriff’s deputies Bryant Lange and Grant Kyle used excessive force when arresting him last July. The deputies were called to the casino by security guards who reported that Fulton, his father and stepfather were drunk and uncooperative when asked to leave the casino.

The tape shows a violent confrontation between Fulton and the deputies, who pepper sprayed Fulton before throwing him to the ground and hitting him several times in the head with their batons. Fulton needed almost two dozen stitches in his eyebrow to close a deep gash the next day. He’s suing the county, the deputies and the sheriff’s department for damages.

The county’s attorney cited “insufficient evidence” in the motion to dismiss. Mike Bush, Fulton’s attorney, said he doesn’t expect the motion to be granted.

County gets extra cash
Butte County Chief Administrative Officer John Blacklock announced this week that the state budget, which was passed by the Legislature last week, contains some extra money for Butte County.

Specifically, each police agency in the county will receive a grant of $30,000 to help beef up law enforcement. Blacklock called the unexpected windfall “a real help” for local law enforcement. He also noted that the state has allocated $100,000 to help pay for the massive Rock Creek­Keefer Slough Flood Control Project, which has been in the works for several years.

Supervisor Mary Ann Houx, who has spearheaded the flood control effort, greeted the news with a smile and a hearty thumbs-up at the supervisors’ July 24 meeting.

News: Another pedestrian hit by train
It’s happened yet again—another Chico man was hit by a train on July 19. It was the fourth pedestrian vs. train accident since the beginning of the year.

Chico police reported that Larry Dean Folkner, 61, appeared to have been walking along the train tracks near West Fifth Street when he was hit at about 11:20 that morning. The accident, though serious, wasn’t fatal. Folkner was treated at Enloe Medical Center for multiple leg and pelvis fractures. While he was being treated for his injuries, doctors found a hypodermic syringe on Folkner, police reported. Police believe that he was under the influence at the time of the accident.

Witnesses said that they saw Folkner walk directly in front of the train’s crossing arms, which were down and flashing, immediately before the impact.