Watching the paint dry
Arts DEVOté loves some time-lapsed video almost as much as much as he loves when artists are given the whole side of a building on which to decorate. See these two loves come together for yourself as busy Chico public artist Dylan Tellesen goes into Benny Hill motion in a sped-up viral video of his work on the back of the Boys and Girls Club building (Main Street, between Sixth and Seventh Streets) at www.youtube.com/user/jerboatube. Click on “Mural Sneak Preview.”
If you’re in the market for someone to produce your planetarium show or your hi-def video documentary, you probably couldn’t find anyone more qualified than Kris Koenig. Not only is he founder and director of the Chico Community Observatory, but he’s also produced and written an Emmy Award-winning educational documentary series on space. His Interstellar Studios is currently producing a documentary called 400 Years of the Telescope , and you can see an exhibit of shots from the documentary taken from telescopes from around the world. The Astrophotography Exhibit happens Sat., Dec. 1, 4-8 p.m. at Interstellar Studios (11 Ilahee Lane—just west of the Save Mart shopping center on East Avenue).
Insanely prolific art-maker Paul DiPasqua is holding his second annual Cheap Bastard show/auctions/benefit, and this year the works of additional artists will be on the block. Oh, and it’s called Mr. D’s CBS Holiday Art Expo instead. Fri., Nov. 30, 5 p.m. & Sat., Dec. 1, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
In local theater news
Chico’s merry mavericks, the Rogue Theatre company, won’t be staging John Patrick Shanley’s Doubt as planned due to scheduling conflicts. Check www.chicorogue.com for new dates—probably early January.
The Ensemble Theatre of Chico, the hard-working troupe that puts on Shakespeare in the Park, is calling you to the stage. Volunteers are needed for its spring fundraiser, so call 624-2841 if you’ve got the love.
And lastly, A.D. would like to pay a personal homage to Court Theatre, Chico State’s summer theater program, which after four decades is no more. Citing the rise of Chico’s community-based theaters (which exist in part because of Court Theatre) and the desire to bring all of its resources to the academic-year productions, the Department of Theatre has decided to close the Chico institution.
• Public Art Policy Committee: Meets Thursdays, Nov. 29 (5 p.m.) and Dec. 6 (3:30 p.m.), Chico City Council building.
• Art First Saturday: Art walking, Sat., Dec. 1, 4-8 p.m. See map, pp. 30-31.
• Art in Public Places: Workshop meets Tues., Dec. 4, 3:30 p.m., Chico City Council building.
• Babes in Toyland: Opens Thurs., Dec. 6 at The Blue Room Theatre.
• Erotic Art Show: Sponsored by Chico State’s A.S. Women’s Center. Opening reception, Fri., Dec. 7, 7 p.m. Crux Artist Collective.
• Art Outreach in Education: Committee meets Tues., Dec. 11, 3:30 p.m., Chico City Council building.
• Arts Commission: Meets Wed., Dec. 12, 7 p.m., Chico City Council building.