After the storms…

OK, you’ve thrown out the food in your fridge and called in the tree service to pull that redwood off your roof, but what else do you need to do to recover from last week’s big storms?

Well, if your roof needs fixing, hire a licensed contractor, not some fly-by-night scam artist. If you need to dispose of tree trimmings, take them to the city of Chico’s compost facility by the airport. There’s no cost through Sunday (Jan. 13).

If you see a downed utility line of any kind, don’t touch it. Call PG&E (1-800-743-5000) or, if it’s sparking or there’s smoke, 911.

If you live in the unincorporated area of the county and your house is damaged, call the county Building Division at 538-7541 to obtain a disaster damage assessment. That could help when arranging for repairs.

If your well was flooded, assume the water is undrinkable. Call a water contractor or certified water treatment specialist to clean your well.