Yakkin’ up eggnog
C K McClatchy High School3066 Freeport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95818
Crest Theatre1013 K St.
Sacramento, CA 95814
St. Michael’s Episcopal Church2140 Mission Ave.
Carmichael, CA 95608
Christmas music makes me want to vomit candy canes. And walking through the mall this time of year usually means holiday-music hell on never-ending repeat. Rarely does an original or cover of a holiday song please my ears. But the unique and multicultural musical offerings this week might make me reconsider my Grinch-like attitude toward holiday tunes.
1. Christmas Pageant, a rock concert featuring Christian crunk-rock band Family Force 5, as well as openers Forever the Sickest Kids, Secondhand Serenade and Shorelines End. Friday, 8 p.m., $19.50. Crest Theatre, 1013 K Street; (916) 442-7378; www.thecrest.com.
2. Hawaiian Holiday Extravaganza, an event run by Na Maka, a Roseville-based Polynesian dance school. It features a craft fair, dances from Hawaii and Tahiti, and Santa singing with a ukulele band. Saturday, 1-8:30 p.m., $10 general, $8 children. Our Lady of Grace School, 1990 Linden Road in West Sacramento; (916) 572-4852; www.namakasacramento.org.
3. Celtic Christmas Celebration, a combination of traditional Scottish and Irish music played by Molly’s Revenge, with a hint of the holidays. Vocalist Moira Smiley and the Rosemary Turco Irish Dancers round out the celebration. Saturday, 7-9 p.m., $18-$20. St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 2140 Mission Avenue in Carmichael; (916) 557-0151; www.mollysrevenge.com.
4. Sacramento TubaChristmas, a collective of 150 tuba players, ages 12 to 85, who will play together in a local celebration of the national event. If you would like to participate, visit www.tubachristmas.com for more details. Saturday, 1 p.m., free. C.K. McClatchy High School, 3066 Freeport Boulevard; (916) 947-3073.
5. Posada Navideña, a folk ballet performance by La Compañia Mazatlán Bellas Artes de Sacramento. The company recreates a traditional procession (or posada), plays Mexican holiday songs (or villancios) and finishes with a mariachi fiesta. Sunday, 3 p.m., $15/day of, $12.50/advance. Crest Theatre, 1013 K Street; (916) 442-7378; www.thecrest.com.