A lethal cocktail

A Chico State University senior who was found dead on his couch May 13, just a week before he was to graduate, died from a drug overdose combined with alcohol, tests have determined.

Stephen William Davis, 23, of San Luis Obispo, died after coming home after a night of drinking with his roommate and falling asleep on the couch. A toxicology exam conducted by the Butte County Sheriff’s Department revealed evidence of Oxycodone, cocaine, morphine and codeine in his system, along with the antidepressant Sertraline. In addition, his blood alcohol level was 0.14.

Chico police Sgt. Rob Merrifield told the San Luis Obispo Tribune that police are continuing to investigate who might have given Davis drugs and may recommend prosecution after completing their investigation.