Other visual arts during Artown
Michael C. McMillen
Inspired by Nevada’s landscapes and history, Michael McMillen calls his installations and constructions “habitats.” He will open his new installation July 1 at the Nevada Museum of Art, 160 W. Liberty St. Call 329-3333.
Burning Man at Artown
Those who are intimidated by the hefty prices and wild ways of Burning Man can have a taste of its outrageous art in a slightly saner, more conventional environment. Watch and even participate as Finley Fryer builds a two-story chapel constructed entirely of plastic recyclable bottles and as Charles A. Gadeken creates his enormous outdoor “Illumination Project.” For more information, call the Nevada Museum of Art, 329-3333.
Artist Patrick Hughes is going to try to trick you. In his work, inspired by the art of M.C. Escher and Rene Magritte, Hughes plays with perspective, figure-ground relationships, and creates optical illusions. As you move, the works appear to take on new form. The exhibit is featured as part of the Siena Hotel Spa Casino’s grand opening in mid-July.
Living With Art
During Artown, visit downtown businesses Gallery Cui-ui, Esoteric Coffee House and Gallery, Infinite Ideas, M-Home, Parasols on the River, the River Gallery and Windy Moon Quilts. In each of the galleries, you will find a room dedicated entirely to the handcrafted work of local artists. Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning July 1.
For other art listings, call 322-1538 or visit www.artown.org.
You can plan your family’s Artown at www.artown.com. Here’s a recap of our picks. They’re all free.
· July 5 or 19: Discover Wondrous Wolves, 10 a.m.-noon, May Museum. Call to reserve spots, 785-5961.
· July 5, 12, 19 or 26: Burning Man @ Artown installation, Wingfield Park.
· July 10: AREA-51 Dance Theater, 7:30 p.m., Wingfield Park.
· July 12: Discover the Pipe Organ, 1-3 p.m., Trinity Episcopal Church.
· July 13: Discover Young Chautauquans, 1-3 p.m. Wingfield Park.
· July 13: 1950s horror films produced by William Castle, 8:30 p.m., Wingfield Park.
· July 19: Nosferatu (a silent film accompanied by Arthur Johnson on the pipe organ), 7:30 p.m., Trinity Episcopal Church.
· July 22: Basque Festival featuring Kepa Junkera, 2 p.m., Wingfield Park.