Down memory lane
Take one of these historic walks during Artown
Leanne Stone, HRPS walking tour chair, said the group aims to raise awareness about local historic sites so that they may be preserved for future generations.
“You can’t save it all, but we try to save what [buildings] we can, and we try to advocate for those that can be saved and educate where we can,” Stone said. “And the walking tours are part of that education process—to point out that there are a lot of things worth saving in this city.”
The group charges a $5 tour fee for non-members. The group offers membership for a $10 annual fee, which includes free admission on the historic walks.
Here is a list of walks offered by HRPS. Call to confirm meeting times and places:
· July 15: Anne Simone leads a tour titled “Bricks and Stones.” She will focus on the eclectic architectural styles that can be seen in the some of Reno’s older neighborhoods. The walk begins at 4 p.m. Meet at My Favorite Muffin, 340 California Ave. For more information, call 853-3414.
· July 17: Mark Taxer will lead this tour of the Wells Avenue neighborhood, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Meet at the former Southside School at Liberty and Sinclair streets. Call 826-7070.
· July 23: Joan Collins will lead a walk along the historic Truckee River corridor, starting at 6:30 p.m. Meet at McKinley Park Arts & Culture Center, 925 Riverside Drive, at Vine Street. Call 329-0394.
· July 24: Leanne Stone will take participants on a walk around the historic district of the University of Nevada, Reno. The walk begins at 6:30 p.m. Meet at the Honor Court at the south entrance of UNR, off Center and Ninth streets. Call 322-1638.
· July 28: Mercedes de la Garza presents this program, geared toward children ages 5-12 and their parents. She will discuss different types of buildings and materials and the ways these materials are used on buildings. After the discussion, the group will go for a quick walking tour in a historic neighborhood. An art session will follow the walk. Bring an apron for both parent and child, and RSVP, as enrollment is limited. The program begins at 10 a.m. Call 322-6406.
· July 30: Pat Klos will lead a stroll through the neighborhood that contains the homes of prominent Nevadans of the past, including U.S. senators McCarran, Nixon and Newlands. The walk begins at 6:30 p.m. Call 348-8594.