Anti-abortion group endorses
Nevada Right to Life has issued endorsements in a number of state races, including several that appear on the Washoe County ballot. The group did not endorse in every race. Among those endorsed:
• Secretary of State/John Wagner (Independent American Party, the party first placed on the Nevada ballot in 1968 as a vehicle for the presidential candidacy of George Wallace). Opposing candidates in the race are Republican Rob Lauer and Democrat Ross Miller.
• Assembly District 25/Pat Hickey (Republican). Opposing candidate: Democrat Robert Townsend.
• Assembly District 32/Ira Hansen (Republican). Opposing candidate: fellow Republican Jodi Stephens.
• Assembly District 38/Dennis C. Gomez (IAP) Opposing candidates: Republican Pete Goicoechea and Democrat John O’Connor.
• Washoe Senate District 1/Phillip Salerno (R). Opposing candidate: Democrat Sheila Leslie.
• Washoe Senate District 2/Don Gustavson (R). Opposing candidate: Democrat Allison Edwards.
In 1990, Nevadans voted in favor of legal abortion by 71.3 to 27.2 percent.